Call for entries The 16th World Children's Haiku Contest (2019-2020) Recruitment has ended.
Originating from Japan, Haiku is the shortest form of poetry in the world. In a short descriptive verse, it captures a moment in the poet's life, or simply expresses the beauty of nature. Haiku is now enjoyed in many countries around the world.
JAL FOUNDATION biennially organize 'World Children's Haiku Contest', and we are happy to announce that the 15th contest is to be held this year.
The theme of the 16th contest is ' Sports '.
Through the contest, children are given the opportunity to compose haiku that will encompass their memories. The experience of composing haiku will also become a part of their pleasant memories of their childhood. All Grand-prize haiku will be collected and published next year as an anthology titled 'Haiku By World Children'.
Haiku Contest Rules
- Applicants must be the age of 15 and under on February 29th, 2020.
- The haiku must be accompanied by hand-drawn or hand-crafted artwork on the same page, using A4-sized paper (21 cm x 29.7 cm) or letter-sized paper (8.5 in. x 11 in.).
- Any form of artwork (except photographs or digital images) can be submitted.
- Every entry must be the original and unpublished work of the child himself/herself. Assistance by others(parents,other adults,siblings, or other children)is prohibited.
- The haiku must be presented in three short lines.
- All rights (for compositions and artwork) will be reserved by JAL FOUNDATION.
- Glue the application form on the back of the work.
- Entry fee
- Submission's Period
- Japan Contest (work in Japanese) 1st Jun, 2019 - 30th Sep, 2019 deadline: 30th Sep, 2019
World Contest (work in local languages) 1st Oct, 2019 - 29th Feb, 2020 deadline: 29th Feb, 2020
⇒ Recruitment for both tournaments has ended.
- Contest Results
- Contest results will be announced on the JAL FOUNDATION website around the end of August, 2020. Haiku By World Children, Volume.16 will be shown in the entertainment program on Boeing 787 international Japan Airlines flights.
- Contest results will be announced on the JAL FOUNDATION website around the end of August, 2020.
- All Grand-prize haiku will be collected and published next year as an anthology titled 'Haiku By World Children'.
- Haiku By World Children, Volume.16 will be shown in the entertainment program on Boeing 787 international Japan Airlines flights.
- Guidelines for submission and Entry Form
- JPlease attach this application form to the back of submitted work with glue.
- Guidelines for submission [PDF: 1.5MB]
- Guidelines for submission(E) [PDF: 1.2MB]
- Entry Form [PDF: 467KB]
- Entry Form(E) [PDF: 380KB]
- Guidelines for submission [PDF: 1.3MB]
- Guidelines for submission(R) [PDF: 1.3MB]
- Entry Form [PDF: 456KB]
- Entry Form(R) [PDF: 431KB]
- JAL FOUNDATION
- Please write your name and country
- JAL Foudation will use the personal information collected upon entry of the Haiku Contest for the purpose of organizing the contest, informing the winner and other activities related to the Haiku contest.
- Winning Haiku peice will become publicly annouced with the author name, age and country.
- All rights of entry (poem and artwork) will be reserved by JAL Foundation.
- JAL FOUNDATION
- Japan Airlines Co., Ltd.
- Haiku International Association
GAKKEN HOLDINGS CO.,LTD.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Agency for Cultural Affairs
Japan Committee for UNICEF
The Japan Foundation
PIn order to view PDF documents, you will need to install Adobe Reader on your computer.Adobe Reader (Adobe Acrobat Reader)