- Our Project: World Children’s Haiku
World Children’s Haiku
Through haiku, cultivate children's sensibilities and deepen mutual exchanges between children in Japan and around the world.Join
Over 720,000 works from contries and regions of the world.
Through haiku, cultivate children's sensibilities and deepen
mutual exchanges between children in Japan and around the world.
In 1964, while the Tokyo Olympics were being held, Japan Airlines organized a Haiku contest on a U.S. radio station, which sparked the popularity of this art form overseas. Forty-one thousand (41,000) haiku were submitted for this first contest.
After some interval, in 1982, JAL held a second haiku competition in the US, this time for high school students, as part of a tourism promotion program for Japan. In 1986, JAL exhibited Japanese children’shaiku in the Expo’86 held in Vancouver, Canada. Subsequently, JAL held the first children’s haiku contest in British Colombia, where fourteen thousand (14,000) entries were made.
How to appreciate Haiku?
Haiku is a form of Japanese traditional literary art, which is at present well known and loved throughout the world. One of the interests of the Former President of the European Council, Mr. Herman van Rompuy is also haiku. This is an indication that haiku has the ability to connect and create exchanges between people from various countries and regions. To think that haiku can pass through and link people living in distant countries together, is truly an amazing thing don’t you agree?
The World Children’s Haiku Contest, sponsored by JAL Foundation, is held biennially and is an opportunity for children from around the world to learn about haiku. It is JAL Foundation’s hope that through using the same theme as a basis for the composing of their haiku, the children do not only gain an understanding of Japan and its culture, but they are also able to share their impressions so that mutual exchanges can be deepened.
For adults, whom up until now have not had an interest in haiku, we believe you will also enjoy reading "How to Make HAIKU", so if possible please do try to have a quick look!When attempting to compose haiku for the first time, although it may seem that following a set 5-7-5 syllable rule and using haiku seasonal words is difficult, it is not entirely necessary to adhere to these rules. At first, why not just try putting into words the things that can be seen in your surroundings or describing events that have occurred? After composing your very first haiku, you may find that a fondness for this literary art form has unexpectedly grown!
how to Make HAIKU
- 日本語版＜Japanese＞ 俳句のつくりかた［7.6MB：PDF］
- 英語版＜English＞ How to Make HAIKU［1.5MB：PDF］
- 中国語＜Chinese＞ 如何作俳句：簡体中文［1.4MB：PDF］
- 中国語＜Chinese＞ 如何作俳句：繁體中文［1.7MB：PDF］
- スペイン語版＜Español＞ COMO HACER UN HAIKU［8.6MB：PDF］
- フランス語版＜Français＞ COMMENT FAIRE UN HAÏKU?［15.4MB：PDF］
- イタリア語版＜Italiano＞ COME SCRIVERE UNO HAIKU［6.9MB：PDF］
- トルコ語版＜Türk＞ HAIKU NASIL YAZILIR?［7MB：PDF］
- ロシア語版＜русский язык＞ КАК ПИСАТЬ ХАЙКУ［6.9MB：PDF］
- ドイツ語版＜Deutsch＞ Wie entsteht ein Haiku?［1.6MB：PDF］
- 韓国語版＜한국어 ＞ 하이쿠를 짓는 방법［7.8MB：PDF］
- ポルトガル語版＜Português＞ Como fazer um Haiku?［5.6MB：PDF］
- フィンランド語版＜Finnish＞ Kuinka Luodaan Haiku?［8.7MB：PDF］
- リトアニア語版＜Lithanian＞ Kaip rašyti haiku?［1.5MB：PDF］
- オランダ語版＜Nederland＞ Hoe maak je een Haiku?［1.6MB：PDF］
- インドネシア語版＜Indonesia＞ Cara Membuat Haiku［6.5MB：PDF］
- ベトナム語版＜Vietnam＞ Làm thó Haiku thế nào［6.2MB：PDF］
- タイ語版＜Thailand＞ วิธีการ แต่งกลอน ไฮกุ［9.4MB：PDF］
PIn order to view PDF documents, you will need to install Adobe Reader on your computer.Adobe Reader (Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Grand Prize Winning-Haiku
World Children’s Haiku Contest Q&A
Where can I see the prize winning works of World Children's Haiku Contest?
- On JAL Foundation website
14th Contest (2015-2016) under the theme "Morning", 15th Contest (2017-2018) under the theme "いきもの", 15th Contest (2019-2020) under the theme "Sports"
- On JAL's electronic manga book 'SKY MANGA', the in-flight entertainment service available on JAL's Boeing 787s on the international routes
- At JAL Sakura Lounges at airports and at the ticket counter of JAL Plaza Yurakucho office
Past issues of "Haiku by World Children" are available.
- On JAL Foundation website
Where are the picture postcards of the prize-winning works available?
They are handed out at JAL Sakura Lounges and the ticket counter of JAL Plaza Yurakucho office.
Where can I see a booklet "How to Make Haiku"?
You can see it on JAL Foundation website. Please visit 'World Children's Haiku' section on the website and click "How to Make Haiku"
- The booklet is prepared in 15 languages; English, Korean, Chinese (traditional & simplified), French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Finnish, Turkish, Russian, Italian,Lithanian,Dutch and Japanese.
Where can I purchase the anthology book "Haiku by World Children"?
- Jt JAL Plaza Yurakucho office. It is also available at general book stores.
- For shipment to overseas, please e-mail your order to:firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the theme, submission period and submission rules of the next 16th World Children's Haiku Contest for 2019-2020?
- Theme: Sports
- Submission period: It will be announced on JAL Foundation website by March 2019.
- Submission rules: One work per applicant (unpublished work composed by applicant himself/herself)
Three-line poem in local language
Haiku with hand-drawn picture on one sheet of A4 size paper (Block print and 'pasted picture' are acceptable. Photographs and digital images are not acceptable.)